Add to Technorati Favorites

Early August 2007

There are no drive-throughs here.

Got a kitten, she's adorable and a great addition to my life (see pictures below). I named her Neshikah (Hebrew for kiss) except when she is "fighty and bitey" she is Neshek, (Hebrew for gun or weapon.) But she sits on my chest when I take naps!

I mentioned a while ago that I had a sort of interview at a congregation in Rosh HaAyin. The young woman who is the rabbi and I planned the service, and enjoyed working together. The service was really nice (only had to fake half), sweet and spiritual rabbi, nice congregants, very enthusiastic board--but no money yet. So we're all still talking. They have partnered with a cong. in the US (to raise $) so I volunteered to sing when they come. Also they are looking for someone to teach an adult Torah chanting class and bnei mitzvah. I don't think my Hebrew skills are where they need to be, to teach, yet. But it's all early days, still. And read on!

Today I got an email from my friend from the choir, Aliza Regev--she received a call from Beit Daniel (biggest Reform synagogue in Israel, in Tel Aviv) looking for chazzan/its for the high holidays! Sent my Hebrew and English CVs right away, along with the MP3 of my Kol Nidre from last year's Dispatch article. Cross your fingers for me.

Also I received an invitation to appear before a committee to give a presentation to convince them that I am an artist. I have made a scrapbook/portfolio with publicity (it had to be print, with picture, and my name) and have to sing 2 songs. I haven't completely settled on what to sing. It will be a capella, so that limits me somewhat. I thought I'd do my version of "Summertime" that gets loud and soft, starts with humming and ends with 3 octaves of oohs then hums. Jewish composer, fairly familiar song I hope.

The second has me going back and forth. I'm deciding between a piece of chazzanut from the morning service that lets really be free. Hebrew, from what I do.

Or the Ladino song "Cuando El Rey Nimrod/Avram Avinu"--I start very slowly, lots of doodling. Then set the beat with clapping (they can do this too) Verse, chorus, chorus on "dai, dai", 2nd verse, chorus, flashy slow ending. They will know the song, but if there are only like 3 of them it will be very hard work.

I'll let you know what happens!

Am learning how to use Microsoft Word in Hebrew. Very cool features I am working on getting into my package!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your most recent posting. Will the blog send an e-mail when you add new posts or is it up to me to remember to check it periodically?

I will probably still continue to correspond the old fashioned way, somehow I just prefer sending letters to e-mail. Keep sending your dispatches, I love to hear about your adventures.

Miriam

Samuel Tinianow said...

Consider this blog linked to! It looks great; I'll check back as often as I can, as I hope will any aspiring musicians I can direct here. Glad to see you decided to put one up.

Also, Neshikah is adorable. Not sure if Maria mentioned this to you, but those pictures inspired our trip to Cat Welfare yesterday. =)