Add to Technorati Favorites

Random Rosh HaShanah Musings

So instead of waiting and writing a grand masterpiece (as I have been doing, sadly only in my head!) I'll share several posts of topical natures!

Rosh HaShanah here was fascinating--I was not working, but had three days' worth of interesting experiences. Everywhere I went, people were wishing me a happy new year "Shanah Tovah!" It was unreal. The guy who checks your trunk before you can go into the underground parking at the Kfar Saba mall greeted me with a paragraph of blessings for health and wealth and peace. You can't imagine how it makes you feel.

Here, the new year is becoming all about presents--remind you of something? All of the ads on radio are about matanot--gifts, gifts, gifts! And since I was invited to many peoples' homes for the holiday, I was out there with everyone else! And of course, money spent on other people doesn't count, right?! But I also found myself out "spreading sweetness and light" to quote P. G. Wodehouse. Called nearly everyone on my address list, stopped in to hair dresser, the baker who makes the most delicious pitas, and the adorable young woman who sold me my car (the little jar of honey in the picture was from her.) It required only thought and time--and what pleasure it gave. So I have Learned Something.

On Erev Rosh HaShanah (the evening before the first day) I went to Kibbutz Nir Eliyahu as the guest of Shoshana and Arye Shalmon (Arye is a Galron bass.) We drank apple tea and ate honey cake, while Arye and I decided what to sing together (we did "Bo V'Shalom"--he sang the verses while I "doodled" a harmony, then we sang the choruses together.) After a while the family gathered, we all talked for a while (I doing a fair amount of Hebrew!) and the grandkids opened their new year presents of new socks and underwear! A fun tradition, and they have really cute socks here!

Then we all walked to the kibbutz dining hall, which was beautifully decorated for the new year. Long tables with bread and honey and fish appetizers (gefilte and spicy Moroccan fish.) Around 250 people gathered, lots of kids and multiple generations. Lots of talk and noise, and people having a great time. We ate wonderful salads, then it was showtime!

There were kids that read about the new year with a grandpa, and a 5-year old dressed as a princess who was the new year and tossed flowers everywhere. Then songs, and a description of the new year symbols, arranged on a round plate like those used for Passover seder.

Then I was introduced, and I sang something, then Arye and I did our piece. And through all of it the kids were running around and about half of the people were listening--and it felt like working the family Erev Rosh HaShanah service at Temple Beth Shalom!

So I was comfortable, and we sat down and ate, and ate! Wonderful food, and talk. And I ran into a woman from Zimbabwe with whom I was in the Hebrew language ulpan when I first got here! Small world...

Then the next day I went to the Orthodox services with my teacher from the ulpan--and heard the Shofar from behind the mechitza (a sort of barrier to separate the men and women.) But mostly during the service she and I chatted, and I helped her figure out where we were in the service.

Later that day I had a meal with South African friends, Janine and Danny Gelley. I have been to their home so many times that I know the family and friends--very pleasant! Aliza Regev was there, too, and Janine made us sing there, too!

Finally on Friday I had a lovely meal at Ronit and Razy Goldberg's house, with Razy's brother and his family. It was a comfortable way to celebrate the second day of Rosh HaShanah.

Meanwhile all week I could hear Shofar practicing from my apartment balcony!

No comments: