Add to Technorati Favorites

Onward and Upward

Just a note before we begin: Now that I have to work and study, I have less time to synthesize and write. Therefore, this blog will become less "epistle-y" and more "bloggy" (without the rants and politics and telling you what I ate for dinner!) You can "unsubscribe" by replying to the email.

After feeling a little like moving here will mean that I never get to serve a congregation again, there is some news.

I had another meeting with the rabbi at the Beit Daniel in Tel Aviv, to try to see what they had planned, if I was "in" or "out" or what. He finally told me what I needed to hear-that he and the other staff and the congregation love my voice and manner on the bima.

That they were 2 years behind in their plans to expand the Jaffo congregation because they couldn't find a cantor.

That they already rejected 5 other cantors because the congregation didn't like them.

That they want somebody who can expand the services and contact with the congregation and greater community, who understands that Friday evening is warm and fuzzy with people who want to be there, but that the bar mitzvah services on Saturdays and other days consisted of 150 guests and 5 congregants. (Gee, that sounds familiar!)

That I just need to tell him which parts of the service I want to do each week (this week: opening with a hasidic nign, and doing Yihyu l'ratzon and Oseh Shalom) in any of the 4 services, until I am ready to do a whole one. (The first was sort of like jumping into an empty swimming pool--I landed on my feet, but it was pretty rough! I have learned A LOT since then!)

So I just need to get working, on some repertoire and the Hebrew. I can tell you I feel a lot more motivated now! And I will do another erev Shabbat service in a month.

I stressed that I didn't want to step on Freddy's (the cantor) feet. Rabbi Azari told me that he (the rabbi) had built the congregation over 20 years from nothing, brought in the 2 other rabbis (one is a woman) and if he could let others in, Freddy had better do it too! (But I have made Freddy into a friend-partly because I treat him as if he has forgotten more service stuff than I ever will know...which is true!)

So it is mine for the taking. Really almost like 10 years ago, though I am starting with some repertoire at least, some knowledge and a lot of "bima time," even if it is American Reform and not quite what I need here. I am in for some hard and scary experiences...just as I had in Columbus. And now I really have to learn the language! I can't just fake it as I could in Columbus, because nobody except Rabbi Apothaker knew the difference!

You all know me-I am not afraid, I don't know what I am doing, but somehow I will make it. (I just can't think too much!)


Working on a new Hashkiveinu, one by Isaacson from L'Maasei Breishit--which has singable chazanut and nearly all the right words from the siddur--just have to replace one line. This is the hardest part--finding stuff I can do without accompaniment, in Hebrew, with the same words as the siddur, or which can be stretched or shrunk to fit what is there. I'm so glad I bought as many books as I did. And that on Yom Kippur I just made up melodies to fit the texts. Exhiliarating! So off I go to study. Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cindy, mazel tov:

On progressing through your first year!

On seemingly reaching your goal of a real job on the bima!

You got away from here just on time to get away from a worsening political and economic climate. And, both parties are offering a number of stugges beginning with the Iowa Caucus on Thursday.