Yom Kippur, Leaving Galron, and a Party

Yom Kippur services went very very well, especially considering the Rabbi had a drippy cold and lost his voice and I didn't truly know what I was doing. I had tunes for most of the big prayers, and made up the chanting for the rest. I was "on" for all of every service, even the Torah services. They actually sang along with me by the end of each block of services with the tunes I was making up, so I was definitely doing something right! There are different musical motives for each of the sections of the prayers.

The evening service that started everything was about 2.5 hours long, started, with the fast. about 45 minutes before sundown. I was exhausted after, and didn't feel that it went very well (though everyone else was happy) gave myself a good talking-to about deserving to be there, and having done months of preparation, and I needed to stick my head up, shoulders back, and trust my work and my gifts. Then I slept, better than I have for a while.

Morning service started at 9, went until 1:30, without a break. I stood up the whole time (in flats, but, still!) and sang the whole time (not exaggerating!) Then we had a 2.5 hour break, and started again at 4, and went until 7:30 pm. The day went very well, I hit my stride and people were very enthusiastic! And by the end, while my brain wasn't working, my voice was big and strong as usual! All in all I got through 5 amidahs and 5 viduis, 4 complete Avinu Malkeinus, all with ALL of the text--nothing like the US machzor! I put in enough "traditional" nusach in each to make people think I knew what I was doing!

You have to realize that there is no "congregation" in Jaffo yet, so nearly every person who attended the services were people who saw the signs outside the building, and walked in. We had about 150 in the evening service, and many told me afterwards that they loved the feel of the service and would be back the next day--and then they came back! (I was always good at customer retention!)

Rabbah Galia called me after I got home, and told me she had heard wonderful things about the services, and that Beit Daniel is priveleged to have me working with them, and asked me to be patient, and that she is sure that I will be the "voice" of the Jaffo congregation. Very sweet, esp. since she also had been working the whole holy day! (And I stressed that the privelege is ALL mine, and I meant it.) It was a very good start, (I know that I am always referring to my work at Beit Daniel as "good starts"--it's a process!) and will help convince the senior rabbi that I should be there more often.

They have booked me for Oct 24, and that's a start. It just will take time for me to finally become the best candidate in a group of possibilities. Exactly what happened at TBS in Cols--I know how it works, with patience and hard work and continual learning, and NO POLITICS until I can do everything they need me to do. I'll get there. And it gives me a real goal to keep going for.

The next night I went to services in the big synagogue (BD from now on!) and everyone, everyone wanted to know how it went if they weren't there in Jaffo, and congratulated me if they were, and Rabbah Galia (who has been my mentor since she first saw my resume and heard my CD last October) greeted me publicly from the podium when I came into the sanctuary at the start of the service. Cantor Freddy invited me up to do one of my signature prayers, then Galia and Freddy invited me up to sing the closing song. Further indication that I'm "om the team." Which I have been for a while, but I don't get quite enough validation (who does?) I'll be satisfied for a while, now. Once the holidays are over, Freddie and I will sit down with the Hallel, which we do every Rosh Chodesh. I have bits and pieces, but not the whole thing, with the tunes they know.

So my second YK finished!

I am leaving the Galron choir--I love the singers, and they have been lovely to me, but I have serious personality conflicts with both the "conductor" and the manager. So I will find another choir that does similar music, and whose management will be delighted to have me. Ironically, Koleinu members will be visiting Galron at the end of November--and I will not be there at all.

Last Saturday evening I had a dinner party to celebrate the marriage of my friends Yaakov and Dalia (they are the first in the slideshow, with their daughter Aurielle.) Yaki's and my friend Eva, whom we met in the absorption center, was visiting here from Prague with her sister, and they were with us. And Stephanie and Jeff from the States rounded out the congenial group. Neshikah the cat was particularly sociable that evening, and stayed with us! We ate and laughed, and it was lovely to entertain friends!

We are preparing for a concert tour of Vienna (one of our concerts will be a commemmoration of Christallnacht), Bratislava, and Budapest. The trip is heavily subsidized by a group that promotes better relations between Christians and Jews in Eastern Europe. I'm very excited to be part of the trip, the concept, and the music. (The cat sitter will cost me more than the trip!)

More soon...meantime, stay in touch!

No comments: