Add to Technorati Favorites

Old News to Me, But Not to You!

My second chance leading the service at Beit Daniel, 2 weeks ago. On the supplement, instead of "Guest Chazzanit" they just put "Chazzanit"--wonder if that means anything? It went really well, even though I worked with a young guy with a guitar--and no rehearsal!

Aside from a misunderstanding about the length and content of one song (oh, I am really blowing with the wind now!) and me skipping a verse on another, (oops!) on the whole it went VERY well, and it was nice to have a partner. We worked with the female rabbi, and she was very sweet and organized (and my original champion.)

After, I did the kiddush (though I didn't know they wanted me to, and took my sweet time getting downstairs!) and then everybody wanted to talk to me. SO many nice comments (voice, music, service,) and a few that really meant something special. Several said how much they enjoy my services, what a nice change it makes from the cantor and how I seemed more relaxed tonight, which made them more comfortable. (They didn't know I spent the WHOLE DAY SHAKING with fear. Literally.) I don't know where this fear comes from, but it has been my companion for so many years. If only I could make it my friend. We'll see if I live long enough!

To the cantor, who gave me a bear hug--I asked if it was better, he said "MUCH better, in fact on another level entirely!" and then went on to praise (again--he loves it) the Yihyu L'Ratzon that goes into the Hirsh Oseh Shalom. He thinks it isn't long enough and wants me to make it longer with a solo for me at the end because "with the clapping and singing they forget how you made them feel at the beginning!" Well!

And then a woman came up, and we 3 talked, and she said to me, "do you have the siddur Hebrew?" and the cantor said, "oh, yes, she has it all!" (Oy, did I knock on wood then!) That was one of the things that brought my "score" on the first service WAY down--the pronunciation. Then the head rabbi, I asked how it was, better than the last time? "Oh, yes, yes! I enjoyed the service very much!" So I feel pretty good!

Then a lovely dinner at my dear friend, sister, Aliza's--can that woman cook! I helped with the dishes and made myself a refrigerator dish of leftovers for Sunday when I work! Nice to be at a place where I know where the refrigerator dishes are, and can feel free to make a doggy bag!

That catches us up to the next post, which already I wrote!

No comments: